Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 10, including senior Hezbollah official - GINGER MAG

ShowBiz & Sports Celebs Lifestyle

Hot

Saturday, February 21, 2026

Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 10, including senior Hezbollah official

Israeli strikes in Lebanon kill at least 10, including senior Hezbollah official

By Laila Bassam and Enas Alashray

Reuters People inspect the damage at the site of an Israeli strike on Friday, in Bednayel, Bekaa valley, Lebanon, February 21, 2026. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir People inspect the damage at the site of an Israeli strike on Friday, in Bednayel, Bekaa valley, Lebanon, February 21, 2026. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir People inspect the damage at the site of an Israeli strike on Friday, in Bednayel, Bekaa valley, Lebanon, February 21, 2026. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

Aftermath of an Israeli strike in Lebanon's Bekaa valley

BEIRUT, Feb 21 (Reuters) - At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley, two security sources ‌told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the ‌Baalbek area.

The strikes on Friday were among the deadliest reported in eastern Lebanon in recent weeks and risk testing a ​fragile U.S.-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Shi'ite Islamist group Hezbollah, which has been strained by recurring accusations of violations.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it struck Hezbollah command centres in the Baalbek area, part of eastern Lebanon's Bekaa Valley.

In a separate statement on Saturday, it said it had "eliminated several ‌terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array ⁠in three different command centres ... recently identified as operating to accelerate the organization's readiness and force build-up processes, while planning fire attacks towards Israel."

Hezbollah said on ⁠Saturday that eight of its fighters, including a commander, Hussein Mohammad Yaghi, were killed in Friday's strikes in the Bekaa area.

Advertisement

CEASEFIRE BROKERED IN 2024

Israel and Hezbollah agreed to a U.S.-brokered ceasefire in 2024 intended to ​end ​more than a year of cross-border exchanges of fire ​that culminated in Israeli strikes that weakened ‌the Iran-aligned group. Since then, the sides have traded accusations of ceasefire violations.

U.S. and Israeli officials have pressed Lebanese authorities to curb Hezbollah's arsenal, while Lebanese leaders have warned that broader Israeli strikes could further destabilize the country already battered by political and economic crises.

Separately, the Israeli military said it also struck what it described as a Hamas command centre from which militants operated in ‌the Ain al-Hilweh area in southern Lebanon. Ain al-Hilweh ​is a crowded Palestinian refugee camp near Sidon.

Lebanese President Joseph ​Aoun condemned the overnight Israeli strikes on ​the Sidon area and towns in Bekaa as a "new violation" of Lebanon's ‌sovereignty and a breach of U.N. obligations, urging ​countries backing regional stability, ​including the United States, to press for an immediate halt to avert further escalation, the presidency said.

Hamas condemned in a statement the Israeli strike on Ain al-Hilweh and rejected Israeli ​assertions about the target, saying ‌the site belonged to the camp's Joint Security Force tasked with maintaining security.

(Addditional Reporting ​by Ahmed Tolba and Muhammad Al Gebaly in Cairo; Writing by Enas Alashray; Editing ​by Rod Nickel, Rosalba O'Brien and Alex Richardson)